How to Select a Zoom Camera Lens from Zeiss
When you are walking in a big city or spending time at the beach, a zoom lens will allow you to position the lens at a variety of different magnification levels. These lenses can be equipped with a wide range of different maximum aperture amounts that extend from f-1.4 to f-5.6. They can also be equipped on a variety of different devices that include both film and digital devices.What are the different types of zoom lenses available?
Several zoom lens types are available to aid in focus, such as:
- Macro: This is a type of zoom lens that offers a close-up look at a smaller subject. These lenses usually come with a 1:1 magnification level and help to produce a larger-than-life representation of the subject in the picture.
- Aspheric: This is a type of lens that comes without rounded or spherical surface elements, which can help with the reduction of distortions and aberrations on the photos you take.
- Wide angle: This is a type of lens that is designed to capture images at wide angles in order to capture more of the scene in question. These lenses usually come with short focal lengths, such as 5-15 millimeters.
- Telephoto: This is a lens that is designed with a long focal length, which helps to capture images that are magnified and have a narrower field of view. These lenses typically consist of focal lengths of at least 60 millimeters.
- Digital single-lens reflex: This is a digital device that comes with a large number of automatic and manual settings. These models are outfitted with digital sensors and can accommodate interchangeable lenses. They can also record photos and video onto memory cards.
- Camcorder: This is a type of device that is designed to capture and record videos in either standard definition or high definition. These videos can be recorded onto either internal or removable storage, which can include cassette tapes, memory cards, and hard drives.
- Mirrorless: This is a device that comes without a series of mirrors inside the body and is usually available in a compact form. These models consist of digital sensors as well and can support interchangeable lenses.
- Rangefinder: This is a type of camera that is equipped with a rangefinder, which is a small device that can assist you with measuring the distance from the lens to the subject.
- SLR: This is a device that captures pictures onto photographic film and comes with a variety of manual settings.
The focal length of a zoom lens refers to the distance from the lens to the sensor of the device that the lens is being paired with. All zoom lenses are outfitted with focal length ranges that include variable lengths that you can switch between on a single lens, such as 35-70 millimeters or 80-200 millimeters. The focal length of a lens can determine how sharp an object in a photo is, such as a person or butterfly.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Zeiss.