Toyota Tacoma Starters
The Toyota Tacoma is a durable, compact pickup truck. However, if you notice that your Tacoma is having trouble starting, it may not be caused by battery malfunction. Your Toyota Tacoma starters may be the cause; heres what to do about it.What is the function of the starter?
In Toyota Tacoma trucks, the starter serves one essential purpose: it sets the engine mechanisms in motion. This process is triggered when Tacoma drivers turn the ignition switch. The starter takes the form of a small electric motor and it converts the electrical energy of the battery into the mechanical energy needed to start the engine. If the starter stops working, the engine will no longer receive the energy it needs to turn on.What are the components of the starter?
The starters found in Toyota vehicles consist of several components. These components are designed to operate for a brief window of time; they stop all function after the vehicles engine turns on. The essential parts include:
- Solenoid: The solenoid sends the electrical current from the battery to the starter motor. It has to accommodate a large amount of power, so when a solenoid stops working, its because it can no longer transmit the correct amount of electric energy.
- Bendix drive: This engagement mechanism is attached to the pinion gear, and its responsible for ensuring the starter motor engages with the flywheel upon ignition.
- Carbon brush: The carbon brushes help to conduct electricity from the battery to the motor. Of all the components of the starter system, they are most susceptible to wear and tear.
- Armature: The armature is an electromagnet wrapped in metal ore conductors. Currents pass through the armature on their way to the Toyotas engine.
- Field coil: The field coil creates the electromagnetic fields required to turn on and rotate the armature.
When a Toyota Tacoma has a malfunctioning or damaged starter, drivers will likely have trouble getting their engine to turn over. If they manage to start the engine, it can keep running indefinitely but it might not start the next time.How should you select a new starter?
When selecting a new starter for Tacoma trucks, drivers have two options. First, they can choose parts manufactured directly by Toyota. As long as drivers choose starters compatible with their Tacoma model, these starters are sure to fit. They can also select aftermarket parts. These starters are not manufactured by Toyota, but many of them will fit Toyota Tacoma trucks as they are designed for a universal fit.