The Truth About Octa Core Socket AM3 CPU Processors
The AMD Octa Core Socket AM3 CPU processor is a single computer component with eight independent processing units. Each unit, or core, can read and implement program instructions, such as "add," "branch," or "move data." With eight cores capable of following separate sets of instructions at the same time, the overall processing time is reduced, increasing overall processing speed and allowing the user to multitask.What is the Octa-core 4 GHz Desktop Black Edition processor?
The AMD - FX-8350 Black Edition Octa-Core 4.0 GHz desktop processor, with a 4.2 GHz turbo core speed, 8MB L3 cache, 32 nm process technology, AMD overdrive technology, and Wraith cooler for optimum thermal management, meets the overclocking requirements of intense multimedia and 3D game applications. The AM3+ socket is backward-compatible with AM3 motherboards.What products use AM3 CPUs, and what benefits are there?
The Socket AM3 CPU is found in AMD processor models such as the AMD FX-8100, FX-8120, FX-8140, FX 8300, FX 8320, FX 8350, FX8370, and FX 9590. These are in turn used to power desktop computers from manufacturers such as Sony, HP, Microsoft, and Samsung. Among its features are:
- Unlocked clock multiplier
- AMD OverDrive software for a highly configurable power and performance curve
- Low noise, thanks to the AMD Wraith cooler
Games like "Far Cry 5," "Hitman," and "Metro Last Light" give you a better gaming experience with a 4-, 6- or 8-Core processor, while "Dirt Rally" appears to perform better with fewer cores. It is probably more important to pair up the panel with the GPU than to pair up the CPU with GPU.What tasks benefit the most from an 8-Core processor?
The following processes benefit the most from having multi-core processors:
- Demanding productivity apps (Excel spreadsheet)
- 3D modeling and rendering (Rhino, Maya, Blender)
- Graphics-intensive games (Doom, GTA 5, Just Cause, Frostbite)
- Video and photo editing apps (Afterlight, Adobe Photoshop, Snapseed)
- Scientific simulation software (Celestia 3D astronomy program, FeatFlow computational fluid dynamics, UrbanSim environmental and transportation planning)
A thread is the smallest sequence of programmed instructions that can be independently managed by that part of an operating system known as the scheduler. A given process can have multiple threads all executing at the same time and sharing the same memory. Single CPU systems implement multiple threads by time slicing, while multiple processors can execute threads in parallel.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by AMD.