Pacific Islands Collectibles
The Pacific Islands are a group of islands located in the Pacific ocean, near Australia. They include a total of 22 different countries including Fiji, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Tonga, Vanuatu and Kiribati. These countries produce a wide array of art and jewelry, as well as many other collectibles that allow you to experience some of the beauty of the pacific. The Pacific Islands is split into three distinct regions, Polynesia, Micronesia, and Melanesia. Each region has its own unique culture and style, as well as specific types of collectibles that it is known for.
What are Some Popular Polynesian Collectibles?
Polynesia is the largest region of the Pacific Islands, and it features many different South Pacific islands including Bora Bora, Tahiti, Tonga, and Papua New Guinea. This region was also heavily influenced by the French, so there are many French Polynesian collectibles available.
- French Polynesia postage stamps are one popular type of collectible from this region. They feature many different colorful designs, and make a great addition to a stamp collection or a collection of Pacific Islands items.
- Polynesian statues are another popular choice. Some of them feature plants and animals native to the regions, and some have religious or historical imagery, such as replicas of the Easter Island heads.
- Many people also collect New Zealand coins. Though New Zealand is just off the coast of Australia, it is it's own country, with unique and beautiful coins. There are silver, gold, and bronze coins available.
What are Some Popular Micronesian Collectibles?
Micronesia is a beautiful pacific region that includes Kiribati, Guam, the Marshall Islands, and hundreds of other islands.
- Micronesian Jewelry is a very popular collectible item. Common types of jewelry from this region include necklaces and earrings made from sea shells, as well as jewelry with pearls. The pacific country Kiribati produces many pieces carved from wood or soapstone.
- Micronesia stamps are sought after by many collectors. You can find them in sheets, as well as individual stamps with and without postage markings on them.
- The Micronesia region also produces lots of decorative pottery including bowls and vases. You can find handmade pieces in an array of colors, but shades of brown, red, and green are the most common.
What are Some Popular Melanesian Collectibles?
Melanesia is a region in the south pacific that features many islands and island groups including Vanuatu, Fiji, Santa Cruz, and New Caledonia.
- This region is known for producing beautiful tapestries and wall hangings. Many of them have floral patterns, or patterns that reflect the beauty of the ocean. Fiji produces many with tribal patterns.
- Carved wood and stone idols are another popular collectible from this region. Some of them feature images of local pacific deities, and some are meant to bring luck or good fortune.