Volkswagen Passat Grilles
When you find yourself in need of a grille for your Volkswagen Passat, you may not know where to begin due to the large number of grilles available. The front grille is a large exterior component that adds both personality and functionality to your Passat model. Once you have an idea of exactly what you are looking for, finding the right VW grille can be easy.What does the grille do for the Volkswagen Passat?
Although the grille on your Volkswagen model gives your sedan personality, it also serves an important function while you drive. The grilles are designed to allow a certain amount of air to flow under the hood and into the radiator and engine. This helps to keep the components that allow your Passat to run cool as they generate large amounts of heat. Technology and vehicle engineering has advanced since grilles were first being installed on cars; as a result, the front grille plays more of a decorative role for many Volkswagen sedans.What are the differences between OEM and aftermarket grilles?
When you are looking for replacement grilles for your Passat, you can choose an OEM replacement grille that looks similar to the original grille or a grille made by an aftermarket manufacturer. While grilles made by both OEM and aftermarket manufacturers have the same function, there are some differences:
- OEM grilles: Grilles that have the OEM label were made by the manufacturer who made the original grille for the Volkswagen Passat. The manufacturer makes these grilles to the same specifications the original grille was made to. These grilles may contain the Volkswagen logo.
- Aftermarket grilles: Grilles made by aftermarket manufacturers are not made to the exact same specifications as the OEM grilles. However, aftermarket grilles often have a variety of designs and finishes that can give your Passat a unique look.
There are three main types of front grilles that you can choose from for your Volkswagen Passat:
- Bumper skirt: These front bumpers are designed to fit the contours of your Volkswagen. The bumper skirt portion of the grille usually has small slits or openings that allow air to flow through. This grille also has ducts that direct airflow over the front brakes, through the engine air intakes, and over other important vehicle components.
- Hood scoop: These grilles are designed to catch the air that is flowing over the hood and direct it into the engines air intake.
- Cowl: This type of grille covers the cowl, which is located where the passenger compartment of the Volkswagen is separated from the engine. It directs airflow into the Passat to provide ventilation for the driver and passengers.