BMW X3 Grilles
Grilles on your BMW X3 are designed to protect your vehicles engine and transmission components while also allowing a certain amount of air to flow through. When it comes to protection, a grille prevents road debris, rocks, and dirt from getting into the engine. If you find that you need to replace your BMWs grille, there are some things you should know before making your purchase.What are the differences between OEM and aftermarket grilles?
Grilles that have the OEM label on them are produced by the original equipment manufacturer, while aftermarket grilles are produced by other companies. There are some minor differences between the two.
- OEM grilles: The grilles that originally come with the BMW X3 are billet grilles that are placed in a vertical pattern. Depending on the exterior of your BMW, the finish may either be black or chrome. The benefits of replacing a BMW grille with an OEM grille is that it is easy to install and will not change the appearance of your vehicle.
- Aftermarket grilles: These grilles are made by companies that did not play a role in producing the original BMW grilles. There are some benefits to these grilles. For example, choosing an aftermarket grille allows you to give your BMW X3 a customized look. You may also have more options when it comes to different finishes or the materials the grilles are made out of.
Grilles for the BMW X3 and X3 xDrive28i SUV are often made from three different materials.
- ABS plastic: This material is fairly sturdy and can easily be styled to work for many different types of vehicles, including the BMW X3. It is usually painted, but it can occasionally be overlaid with chrome to give the grille a shiny effect.
- Aluminum: This material is often used for BMW grilles, at it is rugged and heavy duty. It can be made by extrusion or by being pressed and is often used for mesh grilles. It is usually chromed, although it can also be painted.
- Stainless steel: This durable material is similar to aluminum. Due to its heavy weight, it is not as commonly used for grilles as aluminum, though it does offer high-quality penetration protection. It can be either polished or chromed.
There are three main ways to have a replacement grille installed on your SUV.
- Overlay grilles: These custom grilles are placed over the vehicles existing factory-installed grille. They are usually attached with hardware that is not visible. Similarly, grille skins are made from ABS plastic and snap over the existing grille without the need for additional hardware.
- Insert grilles: With insert grilles, the majority of the original grille is cut out. It is then replaced by a new custom grille.
- Replacement grilles: For these custom grilles, the vehicles entire factory-installed grille is removed. The new grille is then installed in its place.