Using LED Lights in Your Car

LED, or light emitting diodes, have replaced the old incandescent light bulbs on newer vehicles. Tail lights, headlights, and the interior lighting use LED technology. While amber lights are usually used for emergency or utility vehicles, they can also work as fog lights.

Why Use LED Headlights on Cars?

Newer cars hit the road installed with LED lights and more old cars have their incandescent lights replaced with LED. There are some benefits to using LED lights as replacement for incandescent bulbs, including:

  • Efficiency: Compared to incandescent and halogen light bulbs, LED are often much more efficient. Halogen bulbs only convert 20 percent of the energy into light, the rest burned up as excess heat. LED, on the other hand, converts 80 percent, resulting in a lesser load for your alternator. As a result, they can improve your fuel efficiency as well.
  • Safety: Because LED lights are much more efficient at producing lights, they produce much brighter, illuminating light. During the nighttime or in foggy conditions, drivers using LED usually have more visibility than those who don't.
  • Life-Span: Halogen lights can be used for about 5,000 hours, or a little over 200 days. Compare this to LED lighting, which can be used continuously for 11 years straight. Because they last so much longer, they end up being easier to maintain; you don't have to constantly replace them with new bulbs.

What are amber LED Lights Used For?

Amber lights are often more visible than traditional white or blue tinted lights. Warm colors such as red or amber resemble fire so people are more conditioned to quickly recognize these hues. Because of this, they tend to be used for more dire circumstances.

  • Fog Lights: In situations of low visibility, it is a lot safer to have car lighting that can counteract the fog. Normal lamps, especially high-beams, cast a blinding haze because the fog just reflects the light back at you. Red lights are prohibited at the front of the vehicle but amber and green-yellow lights aren't reflected as badly. Combined with regular headlights, the amber lighting can increase visibility just a little.
  • Construction: To provide extra lighting for the work area as well as notify oncoming traffic, many construction vehicles and trucks opt to use amber strobe lights for illumination
  • Maintenance: Maintenance vehicles use amber LED lighting to let other drivers know that they are traveling slowly as they perform tasks like plowing snow.
  • Other Emergency Vehicles: Many cars and trucks use amber LED color lights so that people can instantly recognize them and to be alert.